Read me on ExpertColumn

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Firendship-An Irony

The air is thick with tension
calm and easy, my pretention
as mates from the class
around me read, and alas
i do nothing and still hope to pass.
I look around at these faces
and reminisce those days of fun and disgraces.
those early days of engineering
when my poetry had a form and meaning.
Those early days of the free bird flying
quite ironic to now, the old eagle dying.
those were the days, when i was new
to the grindings of life, and had grudges few,
Those were the days when i treated
every tom, dick, harry and sally, like a friend, uncheated.
but now i chuckle
as the load of all this has made me buckle.
Then i was in good awe
of my college, beautiul without a flaw.
everybody seemed nice, but the claw
of time has corroded that image and it does gnaw
at my heart, and my eyes pained with what i saw.
These ' friends ' of the yesteryear
were humans after all, i fear
while then i thought them to be near
their distance from me now is clear.
These boys and girls had after all their lives,
they weren't my husbands
nor were they my wives.
How could i expect them to treat me as i did,
these expectations sound like a fantasy of a kid.
Whom i thought was my best of buddies
turned out to be among the muddies
for he did secretly many a thing
of engineering importance and to me told nothing.
I would have benefitted from it too
but still, he did it discretely, and i had not a clue.
Still one, who did with me spend quite a time,
who with me did pretend to be mime
turned out to do still many things without me....
Oh !!! its like putting lime on injury.

And then when i was in shortage
of notes, i turned to my bondage
knowing quite well that they would offer help
but they surprised me and made me yelp.
For with one lousy reason and another
they turned me down without a bother,
' bad writing-absence from class-nonotes!!!', was all that they said
but these things didnt matter as my friends for me were dead.
I dont blame them for being selfish,
for they all have responsibilities of feeding their fish.
But i do have something to say,
think of me what they may.
i confess, i might be dumb,
and do nothing but suck my thumb.
I might not be rich or in trend
but still, i am your friend.
I extended to you my hand but you shrunk away
i still extend it anyway,
so that when you stumble or when you fall
my hand be there for you all.
to stand you straight, and shrug off the dust
my dear friend, i do it without greed or lust.
I cannot give you anything, i percieve
but atleast i dont lie or decieve.
Always remember, a friend in need
is a friend indeed.
never shy away from help,
never run away when you are needed,
for you never know when you may need,
and then you may not have anyone from your creed,
to help you out of your trouble
a friend afterall is like a bubble.
a tiny prick may make it pop
and make you a total flop.

No comments: